Sometimes the best remedy for the summer heat is a refreshing glass of cold, old-fashioned lemonade. This version adds a spicy kick of ginger and mint leaves for a bit of brightness.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced into medallions
- 5 cups cold water (divided)
- 1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Lemon slices and mint leaves to garnish
- In a small saucepan create simple syrup by combining sugar, water, and ginger slices. Cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and cover, and let steep for 20 minutes. Remove ginger pieces and discard.
- In a large pitcher, combine simple sugar syrup and lemon juice. Stir in remaining 4 cups of water until it is evenly blended.
- Garnish with lemon slices and mint as desired